Friday, February 5, 2010

"Super Storm" 2010


The best way to make use of snow

Michael and I are currently snug as bug in a rug as the snow comes pouring down outside. As you see, we are currently experiencing what one news station calls the "Super Snow Storm of 2010." This has to be one of the stupidest storm names a station has ever come up with in recent times. But I guess the bit of news that we will be receiving anywhere from 20-30 inches of the snow does that to a newsroom.

Now, to my credit I used to work behind the scenes at a local affiliate in the sunshine state. I was present for a few big news stories and usually found the names clever and catchy, but I am hoping this local station didn't spend too long working on a name. And the graphic just makes it worse.

Excuse the interruption from Captain Obvious, but it looks like the producers and art department had some sort of checklist. Hmmm...clipart of the capital in the background (check) Super Storm in BIG BOLD letters (check) and clever use of a football in the background. Oh that's right! This storm just must be bad AND it's during Super Bowl weekend.

But anyways...I actually do enjoy being snowed in for the weekend. I am still a Florida girl at heart and the snow is just magical. It also gives me the opportunity to buy lots of junk food and snacks that I would NEVER under normal circumstances purchase.

Just last night, I teamed up with my co-worker Michelle to brave the crazies at Harris Teeter to get whatever food was left on the shelves. I stocked up on all of the essentials: Fruity Pebbles, Twinkies, and the most essential BEER. After getting caught up in the madness, I left the store $130 poorer and ready for a nuclear holocaust. It was really fun running up and down the aisles grabbing the last bag of frozen chicken breasts or watching women fret over just how chili could be made without ground beef.

The original plan for the weekend was hosting a big Super Bowl party. My menu was set and I had pre-printed coupons for Joanns to do some sort of cute and crafty table runner for the game. Now, we are redoing the living room (stay tuned for pictures and a really cute ottoman transformation) and I REALLY want to make some sort of apple pie. Why an apple pie you might ask? Because that was pretty much the only produce left at Harris Teeter.

All in all, still an opportunity to tie on my apron, get out the staple gun, and work the weekend away.

No comments:

Post a Comment